Wednesday 22 April 2020

The Joys Of Isolation

Australians are doing a tremendous job self isolating and social distancing. We're now one of the leading countries heading in the right direction, minimising the Corona virus spread.

We're especially fortunate in our beautiful South Gippsland region, away from the city hot spots, but we still have a way to go.

Let's not loosen the chains just yet …

I can't even remember how many weeks of isolation have now passed. It's probably a good thing I'm losing count. I would be feeling the heat a lot more if I were.

Life is starting to become a little unsettling in our household. So much so, I turned to Mr. Google for support today, thinking surely I'll find some useful, inspiring, tips to help carry us through the remainder of this challenging time.

The first port of google call was a definition by Wikipedia, which defines cabin fever referring to:

'the distressing, claustrophobic irritability or restlessness experienced when a person, or group, is stuck in an isolated location or confined quarters for an extended period of time. A person may be referred to as 'stir crazy', derived from the use of 'stir' to mean prison.'

That sounded a little over dramatic, but maybe bordering a touch on our developing home frustrations.

According to Google, feeling anxious, fearful, restless, worried, bored or lonely are completely normal responses to this stressful pandemic situation.

Those words gave me comfort, although thankfully I've not been feeling all of the listed emotions.

Reading on, the initial few helpful tips to combat isolation were to concentrate only on each day, or even each hour, at a time and to eat well, keep hydrated, rest and exercise.

That resonated with me, yet for quite some time our days at home have continued to roll into one. Isolation has thrown our routines right out the window.

We eat whenever we (think we), feel hungry and often in between just because it tastes good.

If I decide to indulge in a baking marathon, depending if I can get my hands on some flour, we presently eat all the goodies ourselves, as opposed to sharing with friends, family or neighbors.

Mind you, as of today, this behaviour stops. If I hear hubby complaining once more how much weight he is piling on, while devouring a delicious sweet, I'm going to lose the plot!

Besides, I too would still like to fit through our doorway once we're free to roam.

We drink plenty of water, but somewhere along the line 'happy hour' occasionally creeps in a little earlier than usual. We have no concept of time, so it makes no difference.

It's enjoyable to sit and talk, while sipping a wine or two, admiring our stunning view.

The Cab Sauv seems to add just that little bit more color to our new normality. We're thankfully not having to drive anywhere.

Our sleep patterns are all over the shop. Resting doesn't exist in our home anymore, except for our dozing felines, who adore having their humans home.

If I intend to rest, curling up on the couch with a good book, my fluff balls will cuddle up too and we all immediately fall asleep, hence my increasing nightly insomnia. 

As for exercise, I attempt to implement yoga poses into my day, but it's a continuous, up hill battle. My pets think I'm playing and dart and weave amusingly under and around my twisted body making yoga near impossible.

At least I can nick out for a short, brisk walk to clear my head and get my blood pumping every now and then.

Another tip according to Google was to meditate or to find a quiet spot to mindfully and deeply breathe, uninterrupted from any chaos. I tried this and eventually succumbed to the only private room in our house - the toilet.

My needy fluff balls impatiently circled at the door, whining, while hubby's echoing voice called out 'What’s for lunch?'

All I could do was shake my head in defeat.

This happened to wipe out another piece of google advice being, 'Look for the beauty within your family members'.

I love them dearly, but they're driving me mad!

The next hint was to keep in regular contact with close family and friends via social media. Of course that's what everyone has predominantly turned to, but I find it's a battle.

So many of us are now constantly on the internet, especially for work, I've noticed our internet service at home has immensely slowed, often to the point where I'm close to throwing my laptop over the edge of the verandah.

Face time is awkward. The conversation dialogue is delayed, while the pictures jump around distorting the endearing faces I'm attempting to speak with. Often the calls just simply cut out.

I miss my friends and family terribly and look forward to personally giving them all warm, heartfelt hugs, once we're again free to mingle.

That's my gold at the end of this dull, heavy Corona rainbow.

If I'm honest, I have an abundance of never-ending farm work waiting for my attention. I also have a list of significant jobs around the house I'm longing to tick off.

Although I'm usually conscientious, I feel guilty lacking my usual enthusiasm. I find this bizarre! Now is the perfect time to get stuck into my pending list.

I'm grateful I'm at least still managing to complete the necessary, daily tasks and to nurture my little family, whom I cherish when I don't want to occasionally (gently) slap them during this trying time!

However, Google suggests to indulge in more activities we love, such as baking, gardening, music, painting or writing etc.

My guilty conscience eased somewhat as I ecstatically read this. I love to lose myself in words during writing spurts.

That's where time passes too quickly and is never enough of.

The hours slip by unnoticed as I pen my thoughts on paper, forming logical order and rightful perspectives. The world seems to make sense once more, but frustratingly my lower back suffers from prolonged sitting.

Hubby also finds it amusing to purposely sneak up and scare the crap out of me as I'm deep in thought. That's when I sternly suggest he go play in his man cave for an hour or three!

Loud noises disturb me too, such as the television volume up high, especially during violent action movies, which are frequently offered during evening programs.

Don't we have enough brutality and bloodshed in the world without consciously digesting unauthentic story lines?

In hindsight, Google was helpful with thought-provoking advice, but what I've personally discovered to combat isolation is to reassure myself often it is only temporary.

Each morning I wake, I affirm we are another day closer to our global goal.

Before I get out of bed to answer the hungry animal cries, I consciously list in my mind many things I appreciate and am grateful for.

I know how fortunate I am compared to so many people struggling to keep afloat within Australia and worldwide.

I try and laugh each day, which lifts my mood, and use this time to reflect and recharge parts of me that desperately need nurturing.

I've also slowed down watching news reports on Covid-19. It just gets too much and tends to consume my thoughts. I stay updated, but avoid the repeated coverage.

This has immensely helped my emotional state.

I ask myself often 'Who do I want to be on the other side of this crisis?'

I'm sure there's a global and personal lesson to be learned from this wretched pandemic and it's wise for all of us to decipher and create a positive, revised, inner and outer world.

Apparently every black cloud has a silver lining. We just need to search for the inspiration and passionately run with it.

So who might you be at the end of this pandemic? 

Perhaps this is a significant question to ask yourself too?



No comments:

Post a Comment