Thursday 19 May 2016

A Lesson In Unconditional Love...

Earlier this year, through cancer, I lost my beautiful, chestnut, quarter horse, Baldy, who was a stunning, strong, muscular twenty-two year old retiree with the most loving, placid nature I had ever known. It was such an absolute pleasure to nurture and care for him, and I made sure his retirement was as close to 'horse paradise' as I could offer. He is now buried on our farm, with our other precious animals, who have passed over.

Being completely heartbroken at the time, a few weeks later my husband surprised me with a rescue horse! I came home from work, on our wedding anniversary, to find an extremely quiet, arthritic, thirty-two year old, quarter horse on death's door. It was a miracle he had survived the one hour float trip to our farm. His aged face wore big, brown, sad eyes, his ribs were protruding terribly and he seemed to lack the energy to even hold up his head. He brought tears to my eyes....

Sky had worked extremely hard in the cutting arena during his life and had been in retirement for many years. He was always kept in good condition, residing on beautiful cattle farms, until the drought last summer took its toll and grass became scarce. Sky then proceeded to drop weight, reaching a crisis point.

So, here he was, in my care. He wasn't Baldy (who could never be replaced), but this lovely, poor animal needed my help. Immediately I sprung into action! I arranged for a vet to come and give him a good check over and I had a dentist assess and file his teeth. Seems there aren't too many chewing teeth left, however senior horse food will give Sky the nourishment he requires. I also wormed him, and had the farrier visit. I religiously feed Sky three times a day with all the goodness he needs, plus added supplements in an attempt to relieve his arthritic joint discomfort, and I offer all the love and support I have within me.

Sky has lived with us for just over three months now, and I can happily report he is looking magnificent and gaining weight every day. His coat has changed to a darker brown color and looks and feels healthy, his hooves have improved immensely and he even rolls regularly, which I was told he would no longer be capable of, due to his age. His tail has grown, after having continuously been nibbled by cattle, and he loves wearing and feeling snuggly warm in his water-proof coat, which a lovely friend of mine kindly donated. So all is going well and according to plan....

However, sadly these days, although I spend as much time as I can with Sky, talking to him, stroking him and offering love, the feeling isn't mutual. The healthier he becomes, the less he shows interest in building a relationship with me. The most attention I receive is when, through his elderly vision, he spots me approaching with his feed. Once his feed bucket is on the ground before him, he let's me know, in no uncertain terms, I can now leave!

I won't lie, I have been feeling upset and disappointed, especially after the special bond I experienced with Baldy. You'd think this animal would appreciate my effort of bringing him back to life, so to speak. But then I think, 'Hang on! He owes me nothing'. Aren't I nursing and caring for him unconditionally? Sky is old and wise and, if after all his years, he doesn't feel like being affectionate, that's his prerogative. In fact he's quite cantankerous and stubborn, but so be it. If that's the way he is, then that's the way he is. I need to accept that!

Regardless though, I continue to show Sky love and who knows, maybe one day he will surprise and meet me half way. Surely, energetically, he senses I care! But, in actual fact, by witnessing his daily transformation, I am greatly rewarded for my effort. The most important thing is Sky is happy, healthy and enjoying his retirement. Who knows how long he has left to live. He's certainly done tremendously well to reach his thirty-two years, especially with what he has endured, and I can't help but have the greatest respect for him......
 
 
The day Sky arrived.

 
Three months later....

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful story Camilla... unconditional love is not always easy, yet it contains many gifts. Blessings♥

    ReplyDelete