Thursday 21 April 2016

A New, Yet Familiar Road...

I've been pondering over my body's fitness level lately and attempting my best to listen to what it has to say, as a contribution to my thoughts.

Five years ago I commenced Taekwon Do. A thought I had back then, right out of the blue, that I ran with. It certainly wasn't something I had ever entertained or yearned for, however being one that loves new experiences, I gave it a go and never looked back.

Being a lover by nature, as opposed to a fighter, it definitely took me out of my comfort zone and I learnt many techniques while being challenged. What I loved most about my Taekwon Do, besides gaining strength, mobility, flexibility and wonderful new friends, was the way I would completely switch off from 'every day life' while I was in my 2.5 hour training bubble. I was (or better said, had to be) completely focussed, with no room for a single other thought. This gave me a wonderful, rejuvenating break, and after training I always felt incredibly physically and emotionally refreshed and ready to get back into the saddle of life. It was truly amazing.

Summer break last year (the only Taekwon Do break in the year) came and went and I wasn't able to recommence at the end of January, due to the farm, our animals and overseas visitors taking priority. The dry season had taken its toll on our land and my husband and I would diligently work until dark every evening, feeding our stock and making sure our water issues were under control as best we could. As Taekwon Do commenced at 6pm, it was impossible for me to attend. Then, as the weeks flew by, we were graced by overseas family for a few weeks, and again I continued to miss numerous classes.

So, finally it seemed I could return. My body would hurt dreadfully initially, however home life seemed under control. We had not experienced much rain, but I decided I could probably now leave my husband to hold the fort, without feeling too much self-guilt.

Well, was the Universe telling me something? The week I decided to return to my beloved martial art, I broke my little toe! I wish I had some amazing, courageous story I could tell you about how I managed this, but no. It was 6am and I had just ventured out of bed, was still half asleep and smashed my toe into our couch corner, whilst making my way to the kitchen, focussed on feeding my kitten breakfast!

Then a week later, I was walking on our uneven, dry, hard land, and rolled my ankle, on the opposite foot to my broken toe! It blew up like a balloon and still hasn't healed properly because my ligaments now feel like rubber, and I continue to roll my ankle on a regular basis. However, the swelling has thankfully nearly diminished.

Since then I have had my back realigned, due to being completely uneven from my neck to my coxic bone and that was the icing on the cake. Taekwon Do, I felt, was drifting further and further from my reach. I then, (after much consideration), made the sad, but definitive decision last week not to return to my enjoyable pastime. My body would not cope well with the vigorous, unpredictable movements of Taekwon Do any longer. Five years of hard training, reaching brown belt level is certainly something I can be proud of, but what I will miss most of all are the lovely fellow students of all ages, whom I had the pleasure of meeting along the way. However, sadly I needed to be realistic. My Taekwon Do chapter was over....

So, having made this significant decision, it was time to look at other options. After all, 'if you don't use it, you lose it'! I once again pondered over my next healthy, challenging endeavour and felt this may be the right time to return to yoga, which I had practised intermittently over the years prior to Taekwon Do. Not only for the gentle, yet powerful, strength and stretching poses, but also for the mindfulness and meditation component. I've been focussing on stilling my mind for months now, even for a few minutes a day, yet haven't completely achieved my desired state. It would be easier to slip back into this habit with the energy of like-minded people within a yoga class.

So, with this conscious decision, life (as it does) paved the way for me to easily find a yoga class only ten minutes from home and on an afternoon during the week, which is perfect for me, being in between farm feeding times. This will allow me to relax into my new passion without feeling anxious about my pending chores. My goal is to reach the same level as in Taekwon Do, where I think of nothing else except my practice.

I attended my first yoga class last Wednesday and I found the teacher, who I instantly connected with, to be a beautiful, gentle, wise soul, who promotes mindfulness and stillness – just as I had wished for and need more of. How lucky am I?!

I believe Spirit knows what we want and need and assists us to reach our goals. I'm sure the road I travelled to reach the point of letting Taekwon Do go was conducted by Spirit, and the thought of recommencing yoga was placed into my thought process because it is for my highest good at this time, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

So, I now commence my yoga journey whole heartedly, absorbing and celebrating all the wonderful benefits I will surely obtain from this unique practice – until Spirit decides it has another road in store for me.

We need only to listen and to be aware and mindful of our circumstances at any given moment. Guidance is all around us. Most importantly we need to trust this guidance. Life becomes so much easier if we only allow it to be....

 

1 comment: