Thursday 15 October 2015

'Never Say Never!'

I sat pondering my life one day at the commencement of 2012. I had just married my long term partner and decided to reassess my goals on a physical, spiritual and emotional level. I felt I needed to breathe some fresh air into this new life chapter. A new phase of marriage compliments new and challenging experiences to push me through to greater heights.

So, as I was throwing around possible new, creative ideas in my head, Taekwon-Do came to mind, right out of the blue! It's not something I had ever thought about and certainly never envisioned practising. I'm a lover by nature, not a fighter, however before I knew it, I was searching the yellow pages for a local club, phoned an instructor, who informed me of various classes in my surrounding area and invited me along to check one out.

Well, that was three and a half years ago now.... and I just love it!

Beside the fact that I commenced just after my 45th birthday and am now armed with self defence and increased discipline, flexibility and co-ordination, I feel so much fitter and healthier. My adopted mantra is, 'If you don't use it, you lose it!'. I have also returned to my normal weight for my height, which has been a never-ending battle throughout the years (but that's another story).

The main attraction and reason I keep persevering and pushing myself to attend at least two classes a week, is the Taekwon-Do community. There are many wonderful fellow students of all ages that take part in regular training. Some of my favorite pocket-rockets are as young as six years! The oldest student, I believe, is in his sixties. Very inspirational, to say the least. Throughout the classes, the higher belt students often assist the lower belt pupils, regardless of age, and bonds can't help but be formed. We all support and encourage each other to reach our common goals.

So, although I find myself physically and mentally challenged, while striving to be all I can, the work I put in feels almost secondary when I look at the big picture of Taekwon-Do. It's not a chore! It's a lot of fun and class time passes by so quickly. That's exercise one dreams of!

So, looking back now, whoever would have thought I would be a student, enjoying this respected ancient martial art – and at my age? Certainly not me! In my wildest dreams, Taekwon-Do never, ever came to mind. I guess this is a perfect example of the saying, 'never say never'.

I am amazed at how far I have come. I have achieved way beyond my expectations and a part of me finds this difficult to accept. However, why shouldn't I take credit and be a little proud of my accomplishments?! I had an idea, I took action, and I have followed through with dedication and perseverance. I have made this happen because I chose to be proactive. It makes sense.
Now, if I can just take charge of all other aspects of my life in this way, there's no stopping me... 

I now challenge you to find a new, healthy and enjoyable activity that pushes you to greater heights and enhances your life in the process !!!    : )
 
 

4 comments: