Tuesday 16 August 2016

Waves Of Emotion...

Over these last couple of weeks, between my work and farm life, I've attempted to make the most of the televised Olympic games coverage. I'm so in awe of the talented, resilient, elite athletes, who have worked exceptionally hard, and no doubt, have made many sacrifices along their road to success. It's very inspiring…

Of course, I am nation proud and obviously want Australia to do well, however it's the individual efforts/stories of all Olympians, who have brought me to tears often throughout the games.

I can't even begin to imagine the blood, sweat and tears shed over the many years of training toward reaching such significant personal goals. I'm sure illnesses and injuries have had their place, as well as endless hours of (probably mundane), repetitiveness. Memories of inevitable highs and lows, amazingly strong commitments and keeping the aspired goals in sight, like dangling carrots, add to the determination and hunger of such successful sporting campaigns.

You could sense the overwhelming joy and pride of the athletes, as they entered the Rio venue during the open ceremony, each one honored and humbly grateful to be there; walking tall behind their country's flag and most probably pinching themselves often. Then, as the games began and the Olympians prepared for their individual sports, emotions and adrenalin ran high – as did mine!

I cried for the winners standing on the podium, often in disbelief, listening to their national anthem play through the humongous speakers. I cried for the athletes, who missed out on a win, bitterly disappointed and emotionally beating themselves up in the process; sadly feeling their self-worth decline, as if measured by their success. The added media circus unfortunately amplified their nation's expectations.

I cried for all the various success stories, celebrating with each participant from my lounge room. I also cried for the devastated athletes, whose nerves engulfed them, at a crucial point, from the sheer pressure of being an Olympian. You can learn to prepare for all aspects of a sport, however no one can teach you the overwhelm of an Olympic environment and audience, and knowing of the trillions of eyes focussed on you through technology; counting on you to do your country proud. What a huge, daunting cross to bear.

I cried for the coaches, families and the rest of the support groups of these extraordinary sportsmen and women, each barracking and wishing their star well, while walking along side them, ready to adhere to their every need.

I also cried mixed tears of emotions for the star Olympians, whose dreams had once again
come true for the fourth or fifth time during Olympic participation, and who were now ready to hang up their boots, taking with them infinite, precious memories.

Each and every athlete should be so extremely proud of themselves, regardless of personal outcome. To be an Olympian is already such an amazing accomplishment, encompassing and proudly acknowledging all those hard yards of pain, stamina and clear purpose. The raw waves of every emotion complete the picture, which of course, are exaggerated within Olympic conditions. I think you are all incredible and should celebrate your outstanding achievements, regardless of podium outcome or not, especially our Aussies.

Congratulations and well done xo



2 comments:

  1. I love your blogs Mills
    Enspiring...always delightful.
    Hope you dont mind, I shared on my Facebook list xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blogs Mills
    Enspiring...always delightful.
    Hope you dont mind, I shared on my Facebook list xxx

    ReplyDelete