Thursday 2 June 2016

Farewell For Now.....


 This week our hearts were heavy as we sadly farewelled a wonderful, dear, courageous friend and colleague, who had spent some years living and working in our rural community.
 We congregated in our local, ritzy cafe/bar to honor his colorful, short life of fifty-two years. Simultaneously, close friends and family gathered in Melbourne to celebrate his life and to fulfil his wishes by spreading his precious ashes across Port Phillip Bay.



This gorgeous man was intelligent, warm, kind, lovable, cheeky and unpretentious. His presence made you feel at ease, his sense of humor made you laugh. His professional, empathetic and sincere persona would often transform into an extroverted 'life of the party', always keen to experience a good time!
 
Through his unintentional role-modelling, we were taught how to live in the present and to enjoy and appreciate each moment. Whether this was because he knew he was living on borrowed time? He would make light of most situations, possibly protecting us from the raw truth or hiding his sensitive vulnerability. One thing's for sure! Over decades and with both fists outstretched, he fought a long and tiring health battle head on. Often the disease would fold him to his knees, however he always managed to find the emotional and physical strength to rise and continue fighting. It was the secondary complications that challenged him most and consequently silenced his breath.
 
 
So as the heavens cried uncontrollably, we raised our 'vodka' glasses in honor of our sweet friend and silently asked the Angels to hold him in their arms, now and always.....whilst suddenly a beautiful, rich rainbow appeared out of nowhere, bringing comfort and joy to our grieving hearts.

 
Thank you Mark, for being you.
Miss you.....xo 

I know with all my being that when our loved ones pass, they are surrounded with love and light as their souls travel 'home'. A home free of pain, a home of pure love that can't even begin to be understood from our physical stance. So with this 'knowing', you would think I am spared of grief! Yes, I am happy for the departed soul, especially if it has endured a long and difficult illness. I find great joy in imagining the reunion with their spirit guides, departed family, friends, pets etc. However, I still grieve.
 
Perhaps it is not so much my sorrow, but the sorrow I feel emanating from the loved ones left behind (who don't yet remember what I do), although I certainly also miss the familiarity of the departed soul, even though the physicality is all that has vanished. The 'person as I knew them' is constantly on my mind for many weeks after they have crossed over. I wonder if this is because their energy is with me, letting me know they have arrived home safe and well. I like to think so.
 
However, regardless of my mixed emotions, it's been an honor sharing a part of my journey with such an interesting man as Mark, and besides nurturing many, (now even more precious), memories, I hope we may reunite one day to remember and laugh over the good old days 'in the physical'....

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment