Monday 18 May 2020

Never A Dull Moment ...

I had an interesting day today!

It started this morning with some essential, weekly food shopping in a Leongatha supermarket. I typically aim to shop early. It's usually not a busy time and allows me to run in and out, leaving a big chunk of my remaining day for productive tasks.

I was surprised to find quite a few items I searched for unavailable on the supermarket shelves. I'm not talking of 'panic buying' goods. Moreso dry biscuit brands or favorite, common cuppa soup flavours my hubby prefers. 

However it is what it is at present. Maybe next time they will have miraculously appeared.

Half way through shopping, I was walking down an isle and suddenly choked on a mint I was swirling too eagerly around my mouth. With tremendous restraint, I desperately shoved down my urges to cough, not wanting to draw attention to myself, but I knew a distasteful, fully-forced coughing fit was longing to explode from within.

I don't know how, but thankfully I managed to somehow calm my throat, although one, tiny, faint cough escaped, and oh my goodness! A middle aged lady, standing perhaps four metres away, pierced her eyes in horror at me and fled the scene faster than the speed of light.

Yes, I seemed to have leprosy! That's how I felt.

A little emotionally deflated after that reaction, I finished my shopping quickly. I sanitised my hands and trolley with available wipes on the way out and headed in the direction of my safe, trusty car.

An elderly lady was walking towards the supermarket entrance, whom I warmly greeted, as I passed her by. I reached my car and upon turning around, happened to notice this woman was flashing a large price tag dangling half way down the back of her gorgeous jumper.

Social distancing or not, I had to do something! I quickly called out "Excuse me," before this woman disappeared from my sight. She thankfully turned around in surprise. 

"Have you just bought this lovely jumper?" I asked, while walking towards her. "Yes dear, I did," the lady dumbfoundedly answered. "Well, let's not tell the world how much it was," I said giggling. With that I let her know about the tag and, with her permission, ripped it from the jumper's label and handed it to her. "Oh my, thank you, dear," she gratefully exclaimed and continued on her way.

Job well done, I thought. I saved that nice lady lots of silly looks!

I packed my shopping in my car boot and decided I was in need of an 'essential' coffee for my travels home.

Walking past a bakery toward the nearest cafe, I noticed a woman sitting in a parked car with the motor on, trying to gain the attention of a person inside the bakehouse, obviously with no luck.

As I was on foot, I asked her whom she was attempting to speak with. "My son is in there and I need another item I had forgotten about. I will ring him," she said. "No, I will tell him," I assured her, and with that I opened the bakery door and called the young man's name, once I knew it, and pointed to his mother.

Another job well done!

Two good deeds versus a crappy little cough scenario, which substituted my leprosy deflation with satisfaction and contentment. I win!

Off I went to complete my list of home jobs before later driving through Fish Creek to deliver food supplies to an elderly loved one, presently isolated within four walls - much to their disgust.

These visits are strained and challenging at the best of times, but I understand how difficult this corona phase is. I tried to offer emotional support, but failed to soothe the discontented, frustrated mood. I typically left feeling disappointed and powerless.

However, on the way home, the view of Wilson's Promontory nurtured my feelings of defeat with its striking beauty. I had to stop and park for a few moments to absorb the stunning scene. It was crystal clear and mesmerising. I could see for miles.

With that magnificent, lingering picture in mind, all was mostly well and as I continued my journey home, I felt thankful to be living in beautiful South Gippsland, where there seems to never be a dull moment.

That night, after I cooked dinner and cleaned up the kitchen, our comfy couch, already carrying hubby and two spoilt fur balls, called my name. I happened to buy my favorite block of chocolate whilst shopping that day (thank goodness chocolate is always ample on supermarket shelves), and I knew then was a good time to devour it. 

Of course I shared with hubby ... and just like that, my world was complete once more.

Let's see what surprises tomorrow brings!



No comments:

Post a Comment