Thursday 19 November 2015

My Grade One Experience

It was 1971 and I'd completed six months of schooling (grade prep) in a foreign country, our new home, Australia. The experience had been frightening, daunting and challenging, yet also exciting, as I had mastered the English language by then and was finding my feet in this multi-cultural environment, and I was glad.

Over the summer holidays I looked forward to entering grade one in the new year, as I was regaining my confidence. I remember commencing school, happy to be reunited with my new friends I had made in grade prep and excited what the school year ahead would bring. Unfortunately, I had no idea what was in store for me, or how my ego would be deflated time and time again.
 
Her name was Mrs. Somerwell and she was my appointed grade one teacher.
She was a middle-aged, skinny presence with red, curly locks and wore a million freckles on her face and arms. What I remember most about her is the tone of her high-pitched, loud, clear, fast talking voice. She was short, sharp and to the point – and she hated me! It didn't seem to matter what I said or did, I always felt I was a kid she couldn't stand the sight of. I certainly wasn't as cute as some of my fellow students, in fact I have never in my life been classed as 'cute', as I have always been tall for my age, and as an adult I stand at 180cm.
 
So, as a six year old, having desperately attempted to win Mrs Somerwell's approval to no avail over the entire school year, I felt my chance had finally arrived as the year was coming to a close.
We were planning a class school Christmas production and we needed a Christmas tree. My father had just purchased a small fir tree for our front garden. It was only about three foot high and would be perfect for our play.
 
After attempting to tell Mrs. Somerwell, who seemed to continue to ignore me, numerous times that I had the perfect tree for our special event, she finally acknowledged my offer. She obviously hadn't been able to get her hands on one! I was so pleased, in fact, I literally couldn't wipe the smile off my face, no matter how much I tried. Finally this woman, my role model, would accept me. It's taken 12 months, but I had finally won her over!
 
However, my celebrations, good intentions (and my smile) were soon squashed, leaving me feeling empty and deflated once more. It was made very clear to me by Mrs Somerwell, how stupid I was to offer a tree, which was planted in the ground!!! Yes, my father had planted the tree, however being a six year old, I was none the wiser and didn't realise it was a problem...  

A healthy self esteem is of the absolute importance to own in life. This is the seed which drives us, forms our belief systems and keeps us positive and capable, no matter what life throws our way. Our young minds learn from our family members, our peers and significant adults in our lives, such as school teachers.

Although I have obviously moved on from my negative grade one experience (although I remember it clear as day), it saddens me to think there are children still going through these sorts of challenges, when it shouldn't and needn't be so. Children are like sponges and retain the words and the feelings they bring with them. When you communicate with a child, please be mindful of this.
The children are our future.... 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this story. So well written. Proud of you..its awesome xxx

    ReplyDelete