Tuesday 17 August 2021

Celebrating an Initial Milestone

Arriving at the first anniversary of South Gippsland Voices newspaper, I'm surprised how quickly the time has flown. It seems only a few months ago I excitedly answered a Facebook post headlined, "Looking for writers". Being an avid scriber, I immediately jumped at the chance to apply and messaged the author with half an essay in an attempt to win him over. I remember the instant reply red something like, "Well, you can certainly write - a lot!".

Since then this refreshing, diverse newspaper has graciously granted me a platform to express personal experiences and investigated topics we can either all relate to or which concern us. There have been many and varied articles over the last twelve months.

I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. Submitting mindful, weekly articles to South Gippsland Voices has kept me accountable, not only to the newspaper, but to my own writing commitment. Writing has become a passionate (almost) daily habit, which showers me with many, valuable, holistic gifts.

During the last year, besides wrestling with the unpredictable, looming pandemic cloud, life has thrown some spontaneous, thought-provoking curve balls in my direction. These have accentuated my understanding of mastering essential skills to retain a decent level of sanity, such as feeding my soul with passionate, stimulating nourishment. Taking care of within, first and foremost, offers mental tools to conquer, repair or harmonise whatever may arise externally. Writing plays a significant and nurturing role in that for me. It releases pent up emotional friction and elucidates it into comprehensible and insightful perspectives. It's so powerful to see my inner world materialise into black and white.

On the flip side, as a volunteer feature writer for this vibrant and informative paper, I've been able to share topics of interest, which have allowed me to meet many talented and inspiring South Gippslanders. I've gained invaluable knowledge and awareness through interviewing locals and researching information I'd never before entertained. I've also enjoyed writing articles on subjects from left field.

I'm so thankful for this opportunity South Gippsland Voices has given me and I appreciate all those who have taken the time to read my articles. Some of you have kindly responded through emails, which I love to receive. I'm proud to be a part of this newspaper and I look forward to its advancing future.

Happy first anniversary South Gippsland Voices!





No comments:

Post a Comment