Sunday 16 May 2021

Winter is drawing near in Australia ...

As I watch the rain pelt down through the living room window, I feel for the cattle huddled together in the far corners of the distant paddocks. The poor, young calves are shaking their little heads in an attempt to escape the pounding raindrops. The chilly wind is brutal as it forcefully blows sideways across the land and between the herds. It makes me shiver as I watch them. The seasons are definitely changing. I can't believe how quickly time continues to fly by. Before we know it, we will refer to the first half of 2021 in past tense as we enter the depths of winter. Winter already! How can that be?

When our coldest season springs to mind, I think of delicious, hot showers, cosy fires, spicy, thick soups, snuggle blankets and entertaining books to curl up with. That's after I've tackled frozen, numb fingers and toes, rosy cheeks, a runny nose, gumboots, mud, rain, frost and peeling off copious amounts of warm layers. The mornings are brisk and dark as I rise, while dusk descends as I return home at the end of each day. The hours of daylight seem to impulsively up their tempo.

However, I enjoy the diverse seasons we are fortunate to experience. Each feels unique in its own right and for me, creates a particular frame of mind. I tend to withdraw a little in winter and look within, contemplating ways to realise the dormant dreams I have yet to fulfill. I plan my wish list during the frosty months, armed and ready to take action as fertile spring emerges and typically showers me with renewed, vibrant energy. It's exciting moving forward with fresh insights learnt from past experiences. I just wish, as I continue to mature, time would slow down a tad.

Nevertheless, it is what it is and all is relatively well. I remind myself to take each day as it comes, for no one is promised tomorrow, and enjoy each hour to the best of my ability. Whether it's pressing work I need to complete or an activity I happily lose myself in, all is to be mindfully embraced, appreciated and deserving of my all.

May we all keep warm and healthy as we enter the cooler months ...




No comments:

Post a Comment