Friday 13 November 2020

The Evoking Magic of South Gippsland

I reside and predominantly work on a beautiful cattle farm in Middle Tarwin. I'm a born and bred city girl and through unexpected circumstances, suddenly found myself trading a social career for complete serenity and solitude. Although the move was exciting and a positive lifestyle change, it proved to be an extraordinary transition on many levels.


Initially I concentrated on cleaning up the new acreage. I disposed of copious amounts of rubbish and scrap metal, cunningly hidden from view. Some was disguised or half buried in paddocks, while much was concealed deep within the hearts of bushy shrubs. Strange, I remember thinking.


I learnt such unfamiliar tasks as pulling down aged, rusty fence wire and manually replacing fence posts, all towards the improvement of the property. It was liberating dirtying my hands and I slept like a baby at night, satisfied with my physical achievements.


I spent most days alone appreciating the diverse, mesmerising sounds of nature, while curious cattle stood near, supervising my every move. It was wonderful, but felt surreal and completely foreign to the life I was accustomed to.


After a laborious nine months I began wishing the steers would join in on my one-sided conversations, as their big, beautiful, brown eyes were no longer quenching my social needs. The honeymoon was over and, although I loved my country life with all my precious, adopted animals, there was something missing. It didn’t take too long to decipher what that was.


Predominantly throughout my life, I had been employed in a service role, passionately assisting individuals to heal and grow. This opportunity initially arose through a nursing capacity, later within the addictions arena. I worked for a reputable, not-for-profit organisation for ten years, engaged in various programs. My roles were challenging, fulfilling, often frustrating and at times, extremely heartbreaking. It was imperative I nurtured my mental and emotional health.


So here I was, suddenly immersed in the rawness of mother earth, happily soaking in the fresh, clean air as the sun kissed my face. It was humbling, but was my purpose forever more to nurture the farm and the animals? Would my life now consist of patching fences, ensuring sufficient fuel is stored for the farm equipment and frequently changing the pump oil? I contemplated these questions for many months and suddenly one day it dawned on me.


was exactly where I was meant to be!


I felt I was granted the opportunity to recuperate from the daily norm of actively listening to anguish and pain, years on end. Perhaps this was my reward for choosing to assist others. A gift of solitude and healing. Once I acknowledged this insight, my restlessness somewhat subsided and contentment prevailed. However, the niggling whisper to promote positivity beyond my organic bubble continued.


Upon reflection, I remembered I once loved to pen my words. In fact, during my adolescence, regular journaling supported me through challenging, teenage years. My thoughts, converted into black and white, fell powerfully into consecutive, rightful perspectives; each one comforting my juvenile concerns with comprehensible rhyme and reason. I recall, I happily retreated for hours on end into my private world, totally oblivious to my surroundings. Quite simply, journaling made my heart sing. However, that was in another lifetime ...


I wondered if my jubilation for writing still existed. Perhaps it was buried deep within under life's endless priorities and responsibilities. If I attempted to document my thoughts, would stirring, thought-provoking words come to fruition? I knew the vast internet was resourceful and an awaiting, global stage to host my heartfelt perceptions, but a cloud of self-doubt loomed near.


Soon after, I remember strolling through a paddock one summer's day to check on some cattle new to the farm. It was the most glorious weather, brilliant blue skies and not a breath of wind. Reality abruptly hit home and to my surprise, I was suddenly overcome with emotion. I took the time to sit down in the lush, damp grass and closed my eyes to absorb the expansive environment with my remaining senses.


The celestial symphony of the land, in all its glory, bared its soul and brought tears to my shut eyes. The scent of the spicy, seeded grass tickled the inside of my nose as I listened intently to the magnificent choir of darting, native birds and spasmodic, laughing kookaburras. In the distance a koala growled, while the gently flowing ripples of the nearby Tarwin River hummed a soothing, background tune. I sensed the shuffle of curious cattle cautiously heading my way, all the while relishing in the warm caress of the sun.


Doused with profound tranquillity, I breathed as one, in complete harmony with the essence of the earth. It was incredible, and in that moment, I felt invincible and free like never before.


It was this sublime occurrence which prompted me to capture my feelings on paper, never to forget the heavenly experience. Whether I chose to share my story or not, I felt it was imperative I write it down - with as much sincerity and emotion as possible - as a cherish-able, personal keepsake.


To my delight, the words flowed quickly and easily as I breathed new life into my dormant pastime. The moments relived in my mind, filtered through my spirit and out through my right hand like honey oozes off a metal spoon ... and my heart sang once again.


It was on this day I was assured I had planted fresh roots in a special part of the world. It seemed the magic of South Gippsland awoke and stimulated my forgotten ardour, allowing my creativity to soar.


I was thrilled and have since met many, local artists and artisans, who too believe the seed of their creativity sprouted not long after relocating to this stunning area. Some have admirably transformed their passions into fruitful vocations and are well known and respected throughout the region. None are surprised when I share I am once again relishing in writing.


Since that profound moment I picked up a pen, I continue to be inspired to write narratives of the light and shade of my rural life, absorbing the wisdom they offer. I also found the courage to share my stories through numerous avenues, hoping they fall into the laps of those who benefit most from my heartfelt words. I wish, at the very least, my pieces bring smiles to readers' faces.


Sometimes my tales are amusing as ridiculous or embarrassing events spontaneously occur. Occasionally, as I reminisce of dear, departed individuals or adored, farm pets, overwhelming grief unexpectedly spills onto beckoning pages. My heartaches allow themselves to unshackle from self-preservation. Typically, my pieces are fuelled with honest, raw emotions as personal challenges or situations arise, however the beautiful, uplifting energy of South Gippsland is always interwoven within my words.


I am enveloped with peace and serenity in a way I have never known or ever thought possible. When I sit amidst my country paradise and allow my thoughts to materialise onto a blank page, my cup is overflowing with joy and appreciation.


Through the written word, I embrace and treasure a meaningful purpose to my otherwise busy lifestyle, and with only pen and paper needed, I feel privileged to pursue my renewed passion whenever I wish. On the odd occasions my words cease to flow easily, all I need do is wander over the vast, picturesque land and align my soul with stunning South Gippsland's heartbeat, and for that I am truly thankful.





No comments:

Post a Comment