Saturday 9 March 2019

The Groupie...

A week ago I had the pleasure of attending another memorable Next Question gig at my youth haunt, The Palace Hotel in Camberwell. I've become a bit of a regular, having previously seen the band twice annually.

I'm always filled with excited anticipation during my two hour drive up from South Gippsland. Not only is it a welcomed break from my daily farm life, but I very much look forward to catching up with Next Question's band members, three of whom I know from high school. I can still so clearly see them in my mind back in those days, as if it were yesterday, and I have such fond memories of them all.

The band of 6 talented musicians wooed the popular, crowded pub last Saturday night with quirky, 80's songs. The sound was fantastic and the introductions to each tune were witty and humorous.
Feeling the enjoyment and enthusiasm emanating from the stage, while the boys shone, brought the experience to a whole new level. The uplifting energy was amazing!

However, if that wasn't enough to warm my heart, each time I have reunited with these gorgeous guys, a few more school friends I hadn't seen in 35 years or so have happily surprised me by also attending the gigs. Talk about an incredible blast from the past ... and last week was no exception.

A group of former students from various years turned up, but I was especially blown away by two, gorgeous girls (and their lovely partners), I hadn't seen for many years. Both had hardly changed at all in appearences and still as fun and delightful as I remember them. It was such a joy to reconnect and together we were entertained by our mutual long time friends, while we reminisced and shared life stories.

It's just so heartwarming to meet up with all of these wonderful people, whom I remember vividly throughout my unsure, insecure and often confusing teenage years. We've all experienced our fair share of life's challenges and have conquered these as best we could, and I am so pleased to hear how successful each one has become. Our teachers would be proud!

However, I sensed the most significant achievement of all is the next generation; the young adults now at the tender age when we all knew each other. Some are even following their parents' footsteps music and career wise.

I love seeing the pride on my old friends' faces as they speak of or introduce me to their off spring. It's a little surreal, as I see so much familiarity in their young expressions, and immediately it takes me back to the school yard, which now seems like a lifetime ago.

In my eyes we haven't changed much at all. Maybe we wear more laugh lines around the edges and the odd greys are moving in (perhaps a little baldness), but the boys are still as handsome as I remember and the girls still as uniquely lovely. Personalities too are the same.

Yes, a real blast from the past and I look forward to another Next Question gig in the hope to be once again pleasantly surprised by yet more fellow students wanting to reconnect - even if I end up turning into a groupie!


No comments:

Post a Comment