Monday 2 July 2018

More Of The Magic Of Bali...

During my stay in the picturesque, Balinese accommodation, I encountered the delightful staff to be humble, gentle, approachable and ever so friendly; always wearing a sincere smile that lit up the surroundings. They couldn't do enough to make sure my friends and I were comfortable and had everything we needed, especially one young man, who went above and beyond his duties to assist us.

Putu was my first point of call as I arrived at the hotel, and kindly showed me to the tropical haven I was to stay in. His honest, altruistic nature was inspiring and I immensely enjoyed his company. Speaking very good English, he explained how he and many staff, employed within the Bali tourist precincts, reside in nearby boarding houses in small rooms. During days off (sometimes only one a week), they return to their individual, inland villages, which can take a few hours to reach by scooter, to visit their families, while bringing home most of their earnings. Putu plans to one day visit Australia, which is quite a detailed process to battle through, however I'm sure he will fulfil his goal. He excitedly shared, with photo in hand, of his plans to marry his beautiful girlfriend next year. I'm very happy for them both, wish them all the best and am looking forward to meeting up with Putu again during another, future trip to his welcoming island.

Although the population of Indonesia is predominantly Muslim and Christian, I read 83% of the people on Bali identify as Hindu. The Balinese strongly believe in karma inspiring them to always give their best. Many worked extremely hard from first light until after dark, sometimes seven days a week, however there was no rushing to be seen. There was no aggression, no raised voices, no stress. These calm people go about their productive day in their stride, always polite, happy and content because that is what they choose for themselves.

I googled some common Indonesian words and phrases before I left Australia, preparing myself not only for my own benefit, but to respectfully greet the Balinese. I wanted to show them I was willing to make an effort while residing on their unique isle. It was so much fun to say 'good morning' or 'thank you' or 'how are you?,' although I would sometimes become confused! However, the native people appreciated my greetings, always breaking out into a warm smile or laugh, while correcting my words or teaching me more. I miss that, and I adored the sound of the Indonesian language. Even some stall holders along the shopping strip of Seminyak, who were a little forward in attempting to entice me into their shops, would let out surprised giggles when I clumsily declined in their mother tongue. This often lead to a friendly conversation and I would continually greet them by name whenever I walked up the street. Even if they were busy with customers, they would turn, smile and joyfully wave, while calling out 'hello.'

There were many I had the pleasure of conversing with such as, a young, passionate bell boy, who dreams of working on a cruise ship once his apprenticeship is completed, or the lovely, petite, twenty-eight year old masseuse, with small, yet powerful hands, who yearns to marry and bear children, not yet having met the right man. There was Yuni, an attractive, diligent, single mum to a little, three year old girl. Yuni works in hospitality six days a week from late afternoon until three in the morning to support her family, grateful her loving parents are able to care for her daughter during those hours. She purposefully works the evening shift so she can be home to care for her child during most of the daytime, even though she is often exhausted. There was also a cheeky hotel gardener, who always seemed so pleased to see me after I initially stumbled over my words, attempting to wish him a happy day in Indonesian. From then on he laughed each time he saw me and again, his emanating smile spoke volumes.

I was familiar with the bartering concept of Bali, although I wasn't any good at it! These hard working people needed to make a living too, and if I could spare a couple of dollars, then why not help them to celebrate a successful day and grant them another reason to smile? The few items I bought were still cheaper than at home in Australia. Same with tipping. I was told the Balinese were extremely appreciative if they should receive a tip for their services, no matter how much or how little, however if this wasn't the case, that was fine too. They did not expect it. So I tipped here, there and everywhere! Not only was I enjoying a spectacular holiday, I was constantly sharing the love.

One of the most joyful and interesting hours I will treasure was during my second last day of my stay. My friends had departed Bali the previous morning to return home to Germany. I was fortunate to savour a couple more days to collect my thoughts and to digest this wonderful experience, which was sadly, fast approaching an end.

The girls and I would walk on the beach and bathe in the glorious surf each day, however we never hired a beach bed, always basing ourselves by the hotel pool. Imagining lying on a beach bed at the beach was way out of my comfort zone, as having grown up in Australia, I'd only ever laid on a towel on the sand. However, it was something I hadn't experienced, so I decided to try it. I didn't bother bartering over the price and while laughing at myself, proceeded to try and get comfortable on the thick, green mattress. I was quietly hoping no one was watching as I stood, awkwardly rearranging the head piece tilt and having to lie down to test it numerous times, while my already positioned, hotel beach towel kept blowing off centre with the gentle breeze. This did not feel right at all, however I persevered and was finally, 'reasonably' comfortable.

Soon after, while lying on my stomach I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, a Balinese woman approaching. I'd forgotten about the beach sellers! She seemed so overly dressed for the heat and she carried what seemed like a million, assorted leather wrist bands and beaded necklaces. She promptly came over, sat beside me on the sand and plopped her goods onto the beach bed near my head, urging me to pick a few; 'Morning price, good price,' she insisted. I sat up to look at her craft and she suddenly started singing a made-up tune. After a few bars, she told me she loved to sing, as it made her happy. Her olive skinned face wore many interesting lines and she had the most beautiful, straight, white teeth. I was curious to know more about this middle aged, intriguing woman. Her broken English, no doubt learnt over many years on Bali's beaches, was easy to decipher.

She shared with me she lives in Denpasar and each morning she rides her bicycle one hour to reach the popular beaches of Seminyak, Legian or Kuta, where she strolls along all day selling her wholesale-bought trinkets to help earn her family's livelihood (then she started singing again). She continued after a short tune to say, depending on how busy her day eventuates, she will ride her bike home, sometimes at five, six, seven or even eight o'clock in the evening, to then cook dinner and wash for her family. I asked her, 'Why are you so covered up in this heat? You must be uncomfortably warm?,' and with that, she touched my hand and said, 'I like this skin.' I chuckled and smiled as I answered, 'And I like this skin,' returning the gesture. After another little, creative tune, she suddenly pulled a creased photo from her worn, coat pocket, and with a beaming smile explained the picture is of her son, daughter-in-law and her new, two month, precious grandson. It was such a joy to see the glowing pride on her face. I was so mesmerised by this endearing woman, I asked if I may take a photo of her. To this she suddenly struck a pose, waiting for my camera. Then up she stood, grabbed her bundle of merchandise, once again broke out into song, waved goodbye and went on her way.

I did buy a leather bracelet from this lady, whom I sadly cannot remember the name of, as it was so foreign to my ears. She returned regularly that day, sometimes with colleagues, to happily have a rest and a chat. At one stage she lay down next to my beach bed, placed her old, tattered, material bag (I wished I'd had a new one with me to gift her), onto the sand and used it as a pillow. Much to my surprise, there she lay with her eyes closed. I honestly believed she would fall sleep, however after a short while she was on the move once more, of course happily singing as she left!

This was the last time I saw her, as by late afternoon I'd decided to call it a day on the beach. I'd had a good go bonding with my beach bed to know I still preferred the familiar, old beach towel cushioned on top of the sand. Besides, the stunning sunset was about to commence and I needed to proceed to my usual prime position, up on the cafe roof top, I had become accustomed too. I quickly looked around for my new friend, as I wanted to say goodbye one last time, however sadly she was nowhere to be seen. I still continue to wear my leather, wrist band at home to fondly remember her and my adventures in Bali. I will surely meet her next trip, as I hear her distinctive voice calling, 'Morning price, good price!'

I look forward to sharing more of my unforgettable Bali memories...





1 comment:

  1. Love it!
    It took me back to this Beautiful country and brought an inner peace just reading your Gorgeous adventure. So honest, so simpke yet so magical and mesmerizing.
    Did you feel you left a piece of your heart there? I did
    Bali is good for the soul. Life long friends now left behind but looking forward to seeing them again.
    I am so happy you had such a Wonderful adventure and embraced the culture of Indonesian people.
    I love the Hindu religion and for months i would here 'morning price"
    A place like you i want to go back too.
    So wonderful for you to finally see your German friends too.
    A glorious piece Milly
    Love you ❤🌸✡XXX

    ReplyDelete