Thursday 18 February 2016

My Very First Friend...

I believe if we are bonded with certain people (souls), we stay bonded regardless of whether we physically see each other or not.....and when we do meet up again if contact has been lost, it's as though we'd only spoken yesterday..... 


I was bombed with an amazing surprise this week that has left me warm and fuzzily delving into the past for the last few days. Through Face Book, amongst the pros and cons of social media, I linked up with a dear, long lost girlfriend. In fact, my very first friend!

I commenced primary school in Australia half way through grade prep and couldn't speak a word of English. The teacher buddied me up with Christine to be introduced to the school facilities, such as the toilets. The other children initially teased me, being 'the strange new girl with the even stranger language', but my beautiful new friend always had my back.

Christine and I completed primary and high school together and were the best of friends. Everyone always knew where one of us was, the other wasn't far away. We danced through the enjoyable, challenging, sometimes a little dangerous teenage years together and were always there for each other to either console or to celebrate the various experiences that presented.

However, as life happens, we lost touch. Christine married, while I travelled overseas and resided in Europe for six years. Then, after I returned we did find each other again, although I can't even remember how! I do remember Chrissy had given birth to two beautiful children, who were then five and two years old. Shortly after our reunion, she and her family moved to Hong Kong for a few years and again we lost contact (there was no social media then, or I hadn't discovered it. I'm not sure which).

That was many years ago and I would often think of my beautiful friend. Finally, after family and friends had attempted for many months (or years) to introduce me to Face Book, I decided to jump on board! I was dubious though, as there were already not enough hours in my day. How would I fit Face Book in too? But I caved and I joined up. It took a while, however I re-found Christine, as well as a couple of mutual friends I hadn't seen for around thirty-five years!!

So the four of us arranged a dinner date and spent the evening reminiscing about our youth. There were lots of laughs amongst some initial tears. It was so amazing to see Christine again and our long lost, old friends. No one had really changed appearances, except of course for the greying hair and laugh lines around the eyes. It was surreal and so very special.

Chrissy and I both turned fifty years old this month, (I would remember her birthday every year) and we were able to celebrate our milestones together – on her birthday. I was also fortunate to see her whole, lovely family again, who were a huge part of my childhood.

So, Chrissy and I have made a pact, which is never to lose contact again – ever! There's no excuse for it any more. Chris lives interstate these days, yet comes across and visits her family quite regularly. I'm sure I will find the time to drive up to the city to meet her on occasions, in fact I look forward to it :)
 

 

2 comments: